Thursday, April 16, 2015

Panda Soft Yarn: Delightful

I was hesitant to venture out of my comfort zone of shopping for yarn from the usual places. Walmart always has a good selection of Redheart at excellent prices, particularly on hand in store - but also online. I scope out Michael's and the Hobby Lobby for sales, whenever I'm out and about in town. However, I'd yet to try one of the online stores - apart from Walmart - that I had heard had very good deals on yarn. It was certainly time to wander out of my comfort zone, so I thought I'd give it a go.

My six year old nephew has been asking for a "Tiger Blanket" and I was really burned out on the striped and ripple patterns, having done quite a few blankets in those styles these past few years. With quite a few projects already on the roster, I needed a blanket I could quickly whip up.  It just so happens that SmileyYarns had a yarn, at a superb price, and the colors reminded me of a tiger.


The yarn is so soft that I fell in love with it! It's a pleasure to work with. I'm really glad I bought extra in a few different colors! The yarn was ordered over the weekend. Smiley's had it shipped out on Monday and I received my order on Wednesday. Overall, the process was painless, delivery was fast, and I love the yarn. I'll definitely be a routine customer, checking out their sales whenever I can.

So new yarn - happy dance - I do what every designer does, I whip up a swatch to see how it handles and looks. I'd never worked yarn before with quite this texture before. Panda Soft Yarn is a microfiber; fine denier 8 ply acrylic. It works up like a dream, but if using a hook, rather than needles, I'd use a large hook: I used a size K (10.5) The larger stitches makes for easier work.



I decided to use a cluster pattern, while working this yarn into a blanket. This way I could find my way along the stitches easily, as the yarn is very fuzzy. I think it's going to shape up into a nice blanket that can be converted into a throw when he is older. I can't wait to try this yarn in a few more projects and with the knitting needles too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment