Sunday, April 26, 2015

Jumping Into Spring

I tend to have two or three projects in the wings, when it comes to crocheting. With Spring in the air, I thought it was time to pull out my flower squares and finish my Daisy Baby Bed Blanket. I used Lion's Brand: Pound of Love yarn, which is on the light end of a worsted weight (4) yarn. It's a soft, light yarn that works up nicely with a smaller hook. However, it doesn't work well with other heavier worsted weight yarns, except in very small amounts in motifs. I rarely work a blanket that has less than 4 colors in it; unless I'm making something upon request. It's a joy when I find two different brands of yarn I can mix and match, as my color palette widens.

I don't follow the "rules" of crochet very well. Sometimes I knot, instead of just tie down. I like to use a heavy worsted yarn, with a medium worsted yarn - for texture. Particularly if I'm designing an image into the blanket. I don't care if your "suppose" to use all the same "kind" of yarn, in a single project. Poppycock! Don't interrupt my art - with your domineering and misguided "rules". I write up the Care Card to the most delicate yarn in the project!


                                   











But for this project, I did follow the rules and used the same yarn throughout the project. I loved how it turned out. I used a slip stitch to connect the squares and strips, as a whip stitch always has a greater danger of coming undone. This resulted in one very textured side that babies will love to touch; and a soft, smooth side to keep baby all comfy and warm. A whip stitch would have given both sides a flat, smooth finish - but be less sturdy to stand up to the toddler years of tent making, cape wearing, and make believe.

The leaf border finishes up the blanket with a slight ruffle, and just the right touch.

So, the fun part is over. Now on to the tedious part.... blocking it, and truly giving it that finished touch! Ugghhhh....


No comments:

Post a Comment