Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Pine Bark Hunter's Cowl

The first thing I do, when I get new yarn is, pull out a hook and see how it works up! So I was really excited to get some Poems Chunky Yarn, which is 100% wool. It was a bumpy ride ordering this yarn from Herscherrner's . I also, failed to receive two different kinds of yarn from my order. I would appear, when my order was received by shipping and handling, the yarn was already sold out. I was happy with yarn I did receive though, Poems Chunky: Autumn Harvest and some variegated fingering yarn from Bernat.


As soon as my husband saw these colors, he requested a cowl for hunting. I of course was more than happy to oblige him, as I wanted to get my hands on that yarn! When your a gal on a budget, you simply learn to accept working with worsted weight (4) yarn. It's always wonderful to get a new yarn  you've never worked with before. This 100% wool, imported yarn from Turkey is thick and warm, and easy to work up. But it is Hell to take apart. If you need to take any of your work apart, that you have created using 100% wool yarn - be prepared to break it. You should also have some moisturizing lotion ready for those hands. My cuticles are killing me.


I used a combination stitch to give one side a textured looked - and the other side a smooth, flat surface - while working in the round. What resulted, with just one 3.5 oz skein of yarn, was a nice cowl, a neck warmer. However, this wasn't what my husband was looking for. So I plunged ahead, and added another skein to the project. 

What has resulted, is the Pine Bark Hunter's Cowl, designed - by yours truly. It begets it's name from the owner of this wonderful piece. He say's the texture and colors remind him of bark on pine trees in the fall.




In the end, I ended up using two skeins of Poems Chunky: Autumn Haze and I would get it again and again! I'll give Herrscherner's another shot too, and see how it goes. Keep a look out for the Pine Bark Hunter's Cowl in our Etsy Store: HearthFire Handmades, The Grand Opening will be in the fall! 


No comments:

Post a Comment